Your teeth are your gateway to a confident smile. Without the store-purchased toothpaste, which contains teeth brightening and whitening agents that claim to give you shiny teeth, you find yourself using washcloths and other birch sticks in medieval times.
There are various alternatives to toothpaste that are naturally available and free from harmful chemicals and dyes. Regular toothpaste is often available with debatable ingredients like titanium dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, sweeteners, glycerin, and many more.
If you are thinking of not using toothpaste for some excellent reason or want to change things a bit, then you must know that there are various alternatives to toothpaste that are quite healthy and give similar results.
Here are some of the best alternatives to your commercial toothpaste that work best without exposing your shiny teeth to any harmful chemicals:
1. Sea salt: Like baking soda, you can dip your toothbrush in sea salt and clean your teeth. You can also mix the salt with some water at first if you are worried about its abrasive nature.
2. Herbal powders for teeth: It might sound a little hippy, but this is one of the best alternatives to your toothpaste that helps keep your teeth clean and healthy like any other store bought product. The bonus of this product is the herbal ingredients that help fight off infection, alleviating pain and inflammations.
3. Baking soda: One of the most common alternatives to toothpaste is baking soda. When you dip your brush in baking soda and brush your teeth, it cleans your teeth very efficiently. You can also mix baking soda\ with little mint oil to give your mouth a feel of fresh mint.
4. Dry brushing: Many people think there is nothing needed in a brush, and dry brushing can do the job. All you require is a toothbrush. Yes, the technique works, but your oral hygiene may not be clear from harmful bacterias and makes you feel that lack of that minty fresh feeling that makes things incomplete.
5. Natural soap: It is tough to believe, but you can brush your teeth using soap. If you think of going this route, select a soap with a peppermint scent to eliminate that feeling of cleaning your mouth with soap. It offers you that clean feel and leaves a less soapy taste in the mouth.But this is not a very good alternative.
6. Hydrogen peroxide: This alternative is quite popular because it keeps your teeth white and clean but it's caustic in nature and can cause ulcers if not used in correct concentration. There are a lot of people who make use of it rather than toothpaste. There is only one concern about using it in place of toothpaste. When you have amalgam fillings, hydrogen peroxide might extract all harmful vapors present in the mercury in your silver filling. But hydrogen peroxide is one of the best alternatives to over-the-counter toothpaste.
7. Water: If dry brushing does not give you a good feel, you can add some water to it. You can run the toothbrush under the faucet and allow the magic of aqua to be your guide.This technique is good for long term benefits.
8. Coconut oil: This works miraculously. It hydrates your skin, makes your hair silky, and has several other health benefits. It also works best for mouth cleaning as it has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which makes it one of the best toothpaste alternatives. You can combine coconut oil with a little baking soda, which becomes a powerhouse for teeth cleaning.
9. Essential oils: It is used for several things. Its scent has a power that can calm down your nerves, relax your muscles, and helps you in sleeping. This also works amazingly for cleaning your teeth. A small drop of peppermint oil in your toothbrush is one of the fastest and easiest ways to polish your pearly white teeth.The quantity of usage of this oil is very important.
It does not matter what you choose as a part of your teeth cleaning routine; dental hygiene is something you should never take lightly. Your self-esteem and confidence are directly related to having a smile you are proud of. So, always take good care of your teeth, whether with traditional toothpaste or some of the best alternatives. It is essential to brush your teeth regularly, floss, and go for dental visits every six months to ensure your teeth and gums are strong and healthy. MyDentalPlan is one such platform where you visit several dentists. Schedule your next dental appointment by choosing one good dentist from the platform.
About the Author:
Suprithi Choudhary, M.Pharm (Pharmacology) Medical Content writer
Suprithi is a Pharma Professional working as a medical content writer and previously worked as a Research Scientist and Senior Research Analyst
Special thanks to Dr Deepak Kulkarni, a dental surgeon with over 23 years of experience who proofread this blog. He graduated from the H.K.E's Dental College, Gulbarga, and has certifications in ACHS International Accreditation Education Plan; Advanced Rotary Endodontic - Restorative Continuum; and Leadership, Team Building and Customer Service Leadership from the Oscar Murphy International.