With the advent of dental implants, the science behind it has become highly dynamic. Dental implants have undergone various modifications and improvements ever since its introduction by Dr. Branemark to the field of dentistry. Implantology is considered as a boon in dentistry with each improvements and advancements made in the field. The society has accepted implants widely despite it being an expensive treatment modality.
What are the recent advancements in implant dentistry?
With the availability of various and advanced diagnostic tools, many challenging clinical situations can be effectively be managed by improving the designs and materials of implants, treatment plan and techniques with the continuous research. Some of the recent advances includes;
- Advancement in topography of the surface of implants- To increase the interaction of the implants with the surrounding bone, several chemical and morphological modifications have been made to the implant surfaces
- Variations in designs of the implants- Different configuration of implant threads with geometric combinations of number of threads, width and depth of the thread, face angle and pitch are available in the market to enhance the bone-implant contact and the distribution of the load
- Implants have evolved from simple machined implants to single and double acid ached, grit blasted, sandblasted implants along with various coatings
- To lessen the forces at the crest and to distribute the stress, the functional surface area of the implant is increased
- To maintain the marginal bone and soft tissues around implants, the concept of micro-threads at the crystal portion is introduced
- Various surface characteristics which ranges from smooth machined to rough surfaces are available for endosseous dental implants
- Alteration in the surface of implants– Two types of modifications have been made for the surface of the implant; Additive method involving titanium plasma spraying and hydroxyapatite coating and Subtractive methods involving sand blasting and acid etching
- Biologically active drugs have been incorporated on the surface of the implant to improve and enhance osseointegration
- Chemical modality– to decontaminate and detoxify the implant surfaces, antibacterial coatings such as gentamycin or tetracycline- HCL treatment is given
- An one-piece implants are introduced to eliminate the implant-abutment interface and problems such as micro-leakage, gingivitis and bone loss
- To enhance the esthetic outcomes, several attempts are being made to add color oxides to zirconia ceramic before sintering process
- Implant loading protocols have been defined, modified and redefined from the conventional methods
- To achieve faster and better functional results of esthetics, immediate implantation is being considered
- With the various graft materials available in the present times, tissue preservation, trauma and infection resulting from ridge formation with deficient width and height can be taken care
- To accelerate the healing process, various osteoconductive and osteoinductive graft materials are available in recent times
- To increase the speed of implant placement, stereolithographic surgical splints are now available to place the implants in predetermined sites
- Mini titanium dental implants are introduced. This comes handy in clinical situations
- A new introduction in the field of surface modification of implants is the introduction of tantalum implants. This increases the osseointegration by combining bone ingrowth and outgrowth
- To help the growth of the bone in the deficient areas of jaw, stem cell grafting is introduced.
In case if you have any more queries or concerns, contact mydentalpaln.in